Glass painting Designs: Origin
Gujarat was the cradle of Glass painting in India. This art painting form made its appearance in the eighteenth century. Glass painting designs and patterns comprises of engravings laid down on the back of the glass, and they are painted from the reverse.
Chinese artists who had settled in Gujarat influenced the local traditions of producing glass paintings designs also known as glass painting art. In India, painting on glass has been carried forward as a treasured legacy and today it is noted for its thematic variety, sheer brilliance, stunning clarity and use of rich colors.
Basic Material and Tools
• Cleaning Fluids / Thinner / Glass Cleaning Solution or Nail polish remover can also be used.
• Painting surfaces ( Glass ,Mirror ,Clear Plastic, Acetate Sheets(transparent sheets) or Bottles )
• Glass Colors (Fevicryl or creative craft) what you prefer
• Outliner readymade or can make at home . Learn to make glass liners at home at
(glass painting outliners)
• Cotton Buds & Cotton roll(Cotton buds are invaluable for mopping up the Mistakes.)
So lets start
Clean your glass with Dry cotton then with Glass cleaner or thinner or with water.
Set your Design or pattern under the Glass on a plain surface like Table.
Use the Outliner and Draw the design over the glass.
Then Let the Outliner for some time like 10 to 15 or 20 minutes to dry.
Then color it with your favorite colors. If any color comes out then use cotton buds to adjust it .And Use thinner if any color comes out the Design or dropped on any area of the surface.
Let it Dry....and now your First painting is ready. Frame it and hang it.
Useful tips and techniques to improve glass painting design
• Take a theme if making more than one painting. It could be Krishna, angels, nature or any other of your choice
• Do no change the position of glass while doing work. Stick you pattern with glass tape, or another simple idea i follow is, v can mark the four corners of the glass on the design pattern with pencil, so even if it moves, we will know the exact position
• To avoid bubbles do not shake the bottle before painting... take little quantity...and apply in layers...Still if bubbles persist than burst it with a pin immediately.
• Adapt normal paintings or photographs into glass painting designs, download a picture that you like and convert it to a glass painting template by yourself & paint.
• When you apply the paint on the outlined design, make sure the surface is flat or else colour will spill in other areas.
• Beginners start with designs having wide areas to paint rather the very intricate designs
• To observe mistakes always work with good light possible if the light comes from down .Close the fan while painting else the thinner in the colour will evaporate.
• Once you have painted, never leave the painting in a bright open place else the color may fade and dust may accumulate if its a open space
• Never use a brush always work with nozzle provided by the company otherwise patches will appear.
• If you want to give shading for (e.g under water effect) to regular stain glass colours you can give light shades in certain areas, also leave certain areas blank and few with dark colours. .You can make colour light by adding white colour ,for brightness you can add yellow for high tones you can add black or blue....the trick is how u spread d colours .For outline you can use black liner or camlin’s transparent one.
• For skin colour use brown with white or flesh tint color which is available in camlin
• To paint on curved surfaces you need fast drying poly utherine medium and good quality glass strainers. It dries out in 2 minutes. Poly utherine medium is around 500/ per liters and glass strainers are around 150 to 200/ per 100 ml. But they are difficult to find.
• Normally when we store unframed glass painting . Cloth or paper sticks on the paint to avoid this sandwich the painting. Ideally it should be sandwiched with a glass piece when it is dry but you can also use OHP paper, the bubble plastic sheet
To prevent your glass colours from getting dry
I think there is no solution for storing colors for a long period of time , but keep using them and use thinner if they little gets or buy small bottles
To remove old glass painting designs
• Use a razor but you have to be careful otherwise scratches will appear.
• Another way is put a wet cloth on the painting and let it choke it for a day. The next day you will find it easy as the paints will be half way out.
• One can also use nail polish remover or thinner
Framing glass painting designs
• Framing the painting on reverse side makes a painting look neat and you dust does not stick on the painting ,but it can sometimes framing the painting on reverse side makes them look a bit dull
• To avoid that you can sandwich the painting...that is...put another glass-a thin glass-on top of the painting and frame it....this way paintings are safer because solvents and air don’t come in contact with the painting and also it does not look dull...
• You even try framing the painting the regular way seal it with card board, and can set any coloured paper/sheet, as per your requirement, it wont look dull and will actually give a lot of brightness..
• You can also use the background as foil for your glass painting design
For this you crumple the foil ( one that is use in kitchen), and then straighten it out, so that it is full of wrinkles and put t behind the painting .This definitely gives it a different look as the portions without color would also look filled, and won't stand out as much.